Friday 30 July 2010

UK ChungDoKwan

Those that have known me for a while will know of my interest in the martial arts. Many moons ago I worked in Hong Kong for the Royal Navy, at the base HMS Tamar. Whilst there I also wrote as a Far Eastern Correspondent for Combat Magazine. One day they contacted me and asked me to interview a rising star who was just about to release a very much anticipated film. Unfortunately the RN patrol boats were out in the Philippines on disaster relief, due to a typhoon that had basically trashed the place. The result of this was that the communication centre in which I worked was 1 in 2, in other words we were working 12 hours on and then 12 off for the duration. Naturally I was unable to conduct the interview, much to the magazine's dismay (and mine!). The film company also contacted me several time and in the end sent me a load of information regarding the film and I wrote the article from that. Name of the film star? Jackie Chan. Gutted or what...

Last night Master Mike McGovern came to my class, which had limited numbers attending due to the school holidays. Mike is creating a national Taekwondo team for UK Chung Do Kwan, the WTF arm of the British Council for Korean Martial arts. This team will be competing both at home and abroad, which is excellent news indeed. Why? Because due to politics within the UK there hasn't been much in the way of competitions for our students to compete in. The sad result of this is that many of them have become disheartened and have moved on. With this new venture I foresee a great avenue for fighters within the UK to compete around the world and I'm delighted to say that I have been invited onto the National Selection Committee. I still consider it a great shame that internal politics prevent our best athletes from competing and representing our country, hopefully this venture will provide a way ahead and will break the chains trying to be imposed by those in positions of authority.

Today is my fiancee Becky's birthday and I am looking forward to her coming home tonight, so that we can celebrate. I won't say how old she is but she is much younger than I and recently became a grandmother to her daughter Alex's first child, Lillie-Anna. (This also meant that her sons Joe, George, Ben and Louis all became uncles at young ages from 17 years down to 8). So after various humorous comments about increases in age and grandmothers I've decided to bite my tongue before it suddenly becomes involuntarily thicker. However, I would like to wish Bex all the best on her birthday and thank her for having such a great sense of humour and to say I think that she is a great mother to her children, and grandmother...

No comments:

Post a Comment